Associate Professor Andrew James Luxton-Reilly
PGCertAcadPrac, BSc, MA, PhD
I am an Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Science at The University of Auckland. After completing a BA and MA(Hons) in Philosophy, focusing on the philosophy of mind and language, I completed a BSc in Computer Science, and a PhD in the field of Computer Science Education. I have worked in the Department of Computer Science since 1995.
Research | Current
I conduct research in Computer Science Education, focused on techniques and technologies that support the development of learning communities. I am also interested in research on how novice programmers can be most effectively supported in their learning, how to teach computing effectively at schools, game-based learning of computing concepts, how to teach debugging, automated assessment, and gender and diversity in Computer Science.
Teaching | Current
Andrew has primarily taught first year courses. He has previously taught:
- COMPSCI 101 -- Principles of Programming
- COMPSCI 105 – Principles of Computer Science
- COMPSCI 107 – Computer Science Fundamentals
- COMPSCI 111 – Introduction to Practical Computing
- COMPSCI 230 – Software development
- SOFTENG 250 – Algorithms and Data Structures
- COMPSCI 707, 747 – Computing Education
- COMPSCI 705 / SOFTENG 702 - Advanced Human Computer Interaction
Current PhD Students
- Sam Kavanagh (Enrolled 2014) - Evaluating the Effect of Virtual Reality Head-mounted Displays on Education. Main Supervisor.
- Md Athar Imtiaz (Enrolled 2016) – Digital ink for improving understanding of data structures and algorithms. Co-supervisor.
- Thomas Suselo (Enrolled 2016) – Using Sketching and Augmented Reality to Improve Understanding of Computer Science. Co-supervisor
- Tyne Crow (Enrolled 2017) - Intelligent Tutoring System for Learning to Program in the NZ Curriculum.
Completed PhD Students
- Paul Schmeider (2014) - Reducing Screen Occlusions on Small Displays. Co-supervised.
- Safurah Abdul Jalil (2015) – Instructional strategies for the visual aesthetics of user interface design: incorporating game-based learning into a modular multi-structural approach. Co-supervised.
- Craig Sutherland (2016) - Exploring Ink Annotations in Changing Digital Documents. Co-supervisor.
- Marshima Rosli (2017) – A framework for assessing the quality of datasets. Co-supervisor.
Completed MSc Students
- Arthur Lewis – (2016) Comparing different peer assessment approaches. Main Supervisor.
- Nazish Khan – (2107) How do high school teachers respond to “computing for social good”. Main Supervisor.
Completed Part IV SE Projects
- Sam Boychuk, (2012) – Cordis. Visual Programming for Teaching Programming Languages. Main supervisor.
- Ceya Rao, Matthew Spencer (2012) -- Programming Automated Interaction with Web-Based Games as a Motivator for Computing Education. Main Supervisor.
- Kyungmo Peter Kang, Anneke Smitheram (2014) – Study Tracker: A Cross Platform Time Management Tool for Students. Main Supervisor.
- Yi Wang, Yubin Huang (2016) User interface for Interactive Collaborative Concept Maps. Main Supervisor.
- Bojun Jin, Siyang Piao (2016) Creating an Aggregated Concept Map. Main Supervisor.
- Manwoong Choi, Nam Jun Park (2016) Learning analytics application for ACP. Co-supervisor
- Suk Won Choi, Jeong Sik Kim (2016) Cross-platform tic-tac-toe with digital ink recognition. Co-supervisor
- Alexander Mercer, Patrick Poole (2016) TutorWiz – A Tutor Planning Tool. Co-supervisor
2018 Faculty of Science Teaching Excellence Award (Sustained Excellence in Teaching)
2014 CLeaR Fellowship
2003 University of Auckland Teaching Excellence Award (Sustained Excellence in Teaching)
1996 School of Mathematical and Information Sciences Director’s Award for Teaching Excellence
2018 ACE, Best Paper Award
Luxton-Reilly, A., Lewis, A., and Plimmer. B. 2018. Comparing sequential and parallel code review techniques for formative feedback. In Proceedings of the 20th Australasian Computing Education Conference (ACE '18). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 45-52. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3160489.3160498
2018 ACE, Best Student Paper Award
Crow, T., Luxton-Reilly, A., and Wuensche, B. 2018. Intelligent tutoring systems for programming education: a systematic review. In Proceedings of the 20th Australasian Computing Education Conference (ACE '18). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 53-62. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3160489.3160492
2017 ACE, Best Paper Award
- Luxton-Reilly, A. and Petersen, A. (2017) The Compound Nature of Novice Programming Assessments. In Proceedings of the Nineteenth Australasian Computing Education Conference (ACE '17). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 26-35. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3013499.3013500.
2016 ITiCSE, Best Presentation
- Luxton-Reilly, A. (2016). Learning to Program is Easy. In Proceedings of the 2016 ACM Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE '16). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 284-289. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2899415.2899432
2010 ITiCSE, Best Working Group Report
- Hamer, J., Purchase, H., Luxton-Reilly, A., & Sheard. J. (2010). Tools for "contributing student learning". In Proceedings of the 2010 ITiCSE working group reports (ITiCSE-WGR '10), Alison Clear and Lori Russell Dag (Eds.). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 1-14. DOI=http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1971681.1971683
2008 ICER 08, John Henry Award
- Denny, P., Hamer, J., Luxton-Reilly, A., & Purchase, H. (2008). PeerWise: Students sharing their multiple choice questions. In ICER'08 - Proceedings of the ACM Workshop on International Computing Education Research (pp. 51-58). Sydney, Australia. doi:10.1145/1404520.1404526
Areas of expertise
- Computer Science Education
- University of Auckland Human Participants Ethics Committee (2012 – 2017)
- FoS Academic Committee (2016 – current)
- FoS Equity Committee (2016- current)
- FoS Learning and Teaching Innovation Group (2010 – 2012)
- Executive Committee (2006-2009, 2016-current)
- Program Leader (2016 – current)
- Academic Committee (2016 – current)
- Director of Software Engineering Research Group (2018-current)
- Director of Computing Education and Learning Technology Research Group (2017-current)
- Student Support Group (2003 – current)
- Tutor Mentor and Administrator (2006 - 2014)
Journal editorial board
- Associate Editor for ACM Transactions on Computing Education 2016, 2017, 2018
- Editorial Advisory Board for ACM Inroads 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Editorial Review Board for International Journal of Mobile and Blended Learning 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Co-editor of special issue of Computer Science Education 2012 (ERA A Rank)
- IEEE Transactions on Education (ERA B) 2010, 2015
- IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies (IF 1.28) 2015
- Computers & Education (IF 3.227) 2016
- Computer Science Education 2010-12, 2016 (ERA A Rank)
- Australasian Journal of Educational Technology (IF 1.52) 2012
- ACM Transactions on Computing Education 2012, 2015
- BMC Medical Education (IF 1.218) 2013
- Canadian Journal of Higher Education 2015
- International Journal of Human-Computer Studies (ERA A rank) 2013, 2014
- MDPI Sustainability 2016, 2017
Conference Program Chair
Australasian Computing Education (ACE) 2019, 2020
Conference Associate Program Chair
ACM Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE) 2017, 2018
Conference Doctoral Consortium Chair
Learning and Teaching in Computing and Engineering (LaTiCE) 2018
Conference programme committee
- Computer Science Education Research Conference (CSERC) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- ACM International Computing Education Research (ICER) 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Australasian Computing Education (ACE) 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Australasian Computer Science Week Doctoral Consortium (ACSW) 2016
- Computer-Supported Peer Review in Education (CSPRE), in conjunction with EDM 2016
- SIENZ'07 (Auckland, local conference) 2007
Conference session chair
- Australasian Computing Education (ACE) 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Australasian User Interface Conference (AUIC) 2016
- ACM Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education 2016
- ACM Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE) 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- ACM Special Interest Group in Computer Science Education Technical Symposium (SIGCSE) 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Asia Pacific Conference on Computer Human Interaction (APCHI) 2012
SIGCSE Chapter Board Member
- ACM SIGCSE Australasian Chapter – Chair 2018
- ACM SIGCSE Australasian Chapter – Board Member 2014-2015
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Media Contact
Primary office location
SCIENCE CENTRE 303 - Bldg 303
Level 5, Room 523
38 PRINCES ST