Dr Gilles Dominique Bellon
Research | Current
My work investigates how the interaction between tropical clouds and tropical atmospheric circulation creates the observed climate variability. I use models of different complexity to understand the mechanisms at play in this variability, from idealized, "toy" models to cloud-resolving models and state-of-the-art climate models (called general circulation models).
Teaching | Current
2016, Semester 1: PHYSICS 213, PHYSICS 231, GEOPHYSICS 331.
2016, Semester 2: PHYSICS 261, PHYSICS 732.
Areas of expertise
- Atmospheric sciences;
- Climate dynamics;
- Tropical climate variability;
- Tropical boundary layer.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Bellon, G., Reitebuch, O., & Naumann, A. K. (2017). Shallow Circulations: Relevance and Strategies for Satellite Observation. Surveys in Geophysics, 38 (6), 1509-1528. 10.1007/s10712-017-9442-2
- Li, N., Bellon, G., & McGregor, G. (2017). Tropospheric moisture in the Southwest Pacific as revealed by homogenized radiosonde data: Climatology and decadal trend. International Journal of Climatology, 37 (3), 1341-1355. 10.1002/joc.4780
- Chadwick, R., Martin, G. M., Copsey, D., Bellon, G., Caian, M., Codron, F., ... Roehrig, R. (2017). Examining the West African Monsoon circulation response to atmospheric heating in a GCM dynamical core. Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems, 9 (1), 149-167. 10.1002/2016MS000728
- Martin, G. M., Peyrillé P, Roehrig, R., Rio, C., Caian, M., Bellon, G., ... Idelkadi, A. (2017). Understanding the West African Monsoon from the analysis of diabatic heating distributions as simulated by climate models. Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems, 9 (1), 239-270. 10.1002/2016MS000697
- Leroux, S., Bellon, G., Roehrig, R., Caian, M., Klingaman, N. P., Lafore, J. P., ... Tyteca, S. (2016). Inter-model comparison of subseasonal tropical variability in aquaplanet experiments: Effect of a warm pool. Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems, 8 (4), 1526-1551. 10.1002/2016MS000683
- Bellon, G., & Geoffroy, O. (2016). How finely do we need to represent the stratocumulus radiative effect?. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 142 (699), 2347-2358. 10.1002/qj.2828
- Bellon, G., & Geoffroy, O. (2016). Stratocumulus radiative effect, multiple equilibria of the well-mixed boundary layer and transition to shallow convection. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 142 (697), 1685-1696. 10.1002/qj.2762
- Daleu, C. L., Plant, R. S., Woolnough, S. J., Sessions, S., Herman, M. J., Sobel, A., ... Bellon, G. (2016). Intercomparison of methods of coupling between convection and large-scale circulation: 2. Comparison over nonuniform surface conditions. Journal of advances in modeling earth systems, 8 (1), 387-405. 10.1002/2015MS000570